Wednesday, December 21, 2011

awkward moments of being pregnant: flying


since we made the big move from delaware to florida, i've flown a few times to see my family, fly boy's family and a trip up to roanoke to see friends.  as fly boy and i get ready to split christmas between columbus and syracuse, i thought i would share some of the "special" moments i've had to date flying while pregnant...

- after carefully planning an outfit i was SURE would make it through security without a second walk-through, i got to experience my first frisking.  seriously, i was so sure this was the best outfit i could have worn to NOT get frisked.  as the security guy led me to the frisking area, he noted that it was probably my extra supportive bra that set off the metal detectors.  great.  thanks.  enter a slightly overweight middle aged woman who starts to pat me down.  when she got to my stomach, she informed me that this was her second frisking of a pregnant woman that day and asked if it is a boy or a girl (while her hand has found permanent residence on my stomach.)  i smile, a girl.  she then asked how far along i am, hand still on my stomach.  i tell her.   she replied, "well, i guess your baby isn't very active, i can't feel it moving."  i awkwardly laughed, hoping to get out of the security area as quickly as possible.  with her hand STILL planted on my stomach, she then noted, "oh i think i just felt the baby....wait, no, that was just you laughing."  i smiled, really hoping to stop the chit-chat and move on.  she looked at me for what felt like an eternity, and with her hand not budging from my stomach, goes on to tell me how wonderful boys are and how excited i should be to have a little boy.  i agreed, not wanting to correct her and continue this awkward interaction, and after what felt like for.ev.er. of this stranger keeping her hand on my stomach, she finally let me go.  i haven't had too many awkward moments of strangers touching my stomach, but i think this single interaction made up for all the lack of awkward belly-touching moments thus far.

- as i found my seat on the plane, the passenger next to me saw my starbucks cup, and "jokingly" said, "you know, pregnant women really shouldn't have caffeine."  i smiled and told him it was a steamer, just hot milk and a shot of vanilla.  (of course i'm sitting in the window seat and he is in the middle, so he now has me as his captive audience for the duration of the flight.)  the gentleman then proceeded to go on a five minute rant about bad habits of pregnant women, including but not limited to, caffeine intake, smoking and drinking.  i had the ipod out and ready to go for when i could hear the captain say those sweet words, "the use of electronics is not permitted."  thank goodness for boise and noise-blocking headphones.

- not pregnancy related, but still funny...)  on another recent trip, i sat down next to a couple, who were clearly newly dating. 
girl: is this your first time flying?
guy: no, i've flown before.  have you ever been on one of those really big planes?  where there three seats, an isle, three seats, another isle and three more seats?
girl: oh honey, those planes don't really exist.  they make those up for the movies.  this [the plane we were sitting on] is the biggest plane that actually exists.
guy: (rolls his eyes, takes the girl's hand and smiles at her.)
we were on a little puddle jumper from atlanta to roanoke.  the plane only had five seats across.  and this girl actually thought that the prop plane was the biggest plane that is made.  hilarious.

with three more legs of flying to go over the next ten days, i am sure to have more "moments" to add to this list after christmas.

here's to awkward moments while being pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment